Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Small World

A very common thing in places where students are trying to learn a new language is to have a language exchange partner, or an "intercambio". I first heard about it while I was in Spain and met some girls who were in language school there. They pair up with a Spanish national who wants to learn English and they get together for coffee or something and speak an hour in Spanish and an hour in English. The idea is that both practice the language they are learning with a native speaker of it. What a concept! My friend Jeremy lived here in Costa Rica for about 14 months and just recently returned to the States. He's actually the person who told me so many nice things about this place that I was convinced to come! While he was here, his intercambio partner was a girl named Jessica and he "introduced" us. She and I have met a couple of times since I've been here and yesterday afternoon, she took me to her hometown, Coronado, and showed me around, let me sample some typical Costa Rican foods in a favorite "soda" (small restaurant) of hers, and helped me plan out some of my travels for next week when Shawnaka is here (woo-hoo! :)). She's such a sweet girl--"muy buena gente" as Costa Ricans would say. And the world is so very, very small...

Last weekend, I went to Volcan Poas with Don Quincho (my host Dad), Bruce (the Taiwanese student who's also living in my host home), and my friend Beatriz. We were very fortunate because when we arrived at the crater, the volcano had just let off steam and it cleared the clouds that were covering the crater. Apparently many people come and never see a thing! When the clouds lifted, you could see what looks like a lake that has filled in the crater! The scene was short-lived, but beautiful. Then we hiked over to another area of the volcano (which was quite far and I don't know if Beatriz has yet forgiven me for forgetting to tell her to bring tennis shoes! :)) where there is a lagoon. It was a good hike, but a relatively short distance between two extremes--one area dark and burned and the other green and lush. After the hike at the volcano, Don Quincho took us hiking along a river and up to the mouth of it where there were two huge waterfalls! It was really beautiful! I hope you enjoy the show-and-tell! :)
P.S. I never thought it would happen, but I'm officially SICK of rice and beans. Seriously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you met Jessica. I like Coronado. It can get chilly there. Tell her i said she is looking mas linda que nunca ;). ja ja. Acuerdate de que estoy compartiendo mi intercambio contigo. por favor no me la robes. ja ja!

Poas was my first, of many, Costa Rican excursions. When we arrived the fog was thick. As we were about to leave with our heads down, the haze suddenly cleared and a beautiful blue lagoon appeared.

Tired of beans and rice? Try it for 14 months. Actually, I never burned out on it because it became as natural to me as breathing. Good source of protein and good carbs too, something you need if you're a campesina who does lots of manual labor. I lost so much weight in CR because my diet was so much better.

Lo unico que no me gustaba de la cocina (cuisine) tica era el pejibaye, una fruta. lo has probado? has probado la sopa negra y la olla de carne? son caldos muy sabrosos.

Me alegro de que todo te esta pasando bien. Estoy ansioso de escuchar tu espanyol cuando vuelvas a Texas.

Louanne said...

That's so cool!! How fun for you. I miss you and sorry you are tired of the beans and rice. Eat more fried bananas.

Jen said...

I assume that Shawnaka made it safe and sound???

Blog Archive