Saturday, August 2, 2008

My best friend, Shawnaka, arrived on Friday and we’ve been traveling around Costa Rica since. Sounds pretty glamorous, huh? And it has been—minus the time spent using public transportation. I know, I’m starting to sound redundant—the bus, blah, blah, blah. But when your bus trip to Monteverde (a well-known rain forest) is supposed to take approx. 4.5 hours and you finally arrive OVER NINE HOURS LATER, you begin to have a new definition of “time is money”. Is that why my ticket cost $4.50?

We started in Monteverde where we did the hanging bridges and zip-line tours. The zip line was a blast, and I even did the “Tarzan swing”—basically a free-fall/swing from a 25-foot platform! YIKES! From there, we headed to the Pacific coast and saw beaches you only see in magazines! We saw hummingbirds, butterflies, monkeys, flocks of parakeets, toucans, macaws, iguanas, dolphins, schools of beautiful fish, and sharks—I mean TUNA.

I met a girl on the bus from Monteverde to our next stop who grew up in a small rural town. She attended elementary school in her hometown, but for high school had to ride a bus two hours each way to Monteverde. She said that during the rainy season, a lot of times the roads would wash out and the driver would have to find another route to take the students home. She also said that sometimes, if the driver saw a fruit tree on the side of the road, he would stop and all the students would get off to pick some fruit—a snack for the long ride home!

I only have a couple days left in Costa Rica. I have mixed emotions about leaving. My host family has been so good to me here and I’ll miss my new friend Beatriz. But, I’m also missing my family and the familiarity of home. I can’t wait to have some good home-cooking by my Mom and eat at some favorite restaurants of mine! And—BONUS—my brother, Travis, is moving to Houston from Boston next week, so I’ll get to see him soon, too!

I hope you enjoy the show-and-tell…and I’ll try to post some videos soon if I can figure it out…

!Pura vida!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like you girls had a blast! The beaches sound amazing, I can understand your mixed feelings and I haven't even been. I loved the story of the bus driver stopping on the side of the road so that the kids could pick fruit. Sugar Land is nice, but we definitely don't have every facet of paradise (thinking of the beaches and fresh fruit... not the stinky arm pit buses and muddy roads).

Jen said...

I'm glad yall are having fun! Sounds wonderful, now I need to go. and for the record, she's my best friend, not yours. ;)

Louanne said...

I am so glad you guys are having fun! And I understand wanting to get home even though it's been a good time. Love you!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! I might be ready to leave the country.
Mom

Blog Archive