Last Friday, Daniela invited me to her church youth group's talent show. She and a couple friends got all dolled up and we walked over to the church. They weren't quite set up when we arrived, so we made a grocery-store run for snacks and then went back over. In the show, there were lots of guys playing guitar, lots of girls singing badly, and an inappropriate-for-a-church-talent-show dance routine with way too many pelvic thrusts. Regardless, it was pretty fun hanging out with the girls.
Saturday, I had plans to go to the center of San Jose to do a bit of souvenir shopping and to go to the Gold Museum. Don Quincho volunteered to take me, and Daniela went too. We had a fun day that ended with a "fruit salad" that turned out to be fresh fruit topped with ice cream and cream and jell-o...! !Que rico! :)
Sunday, we took a day trip to the province of Limon. My host mom's sister (Yami) and her husband (Roberto) have a house they are building there, and my friend Beatriz and I were invited to go and spend the day with the family. The drive was beautiful, and in the course of the day, I swam in the river, drove the family van (stick-shift and without power steering!), went fishing "lasso-style", and saw more of this beautiful country. It was a great day! :)
Now, as beautiful as the country is, I have to admit that I'm pretty sick of the bugs. Particularly the bugs in my bedroom. I know, spoiled American, huh? But the other night, I get up to take a shower and right in front of my bathroom door is a "dead" roach. You know what I mean by "dead", don't you? He's laying on his back with only antennae twitching. And I'm temporarily immobilized by anxiety. Because I'm not at home. I don't know where the broom and dustpan are...and I'm certainly not going to sacrifice a perfectly good shoe to smash him. Everyone in the house is asleep, and I can't in good conscience wake someone up to take care of a roach problem (although I did consider it!). So, I get resourceful. I'm a smart girl. And I have some newspaper in my bedroom that I decide to use as a dustpan of sorts to scoop him up and put him in the trash. Only as soon as I dump him in the trashcan, he's revived--brought back to life like Lazarus out of the grave--and he's ready for some action. Good thing I'm stronger than I look.

2 comments:
Loved talking to you!! I still think you should have left the smooched guy there to send a message! Take them to the mattresses! Wait, the roaches might take me literally. So roaches understand Godfather references? Hmmmmm.
I am glad you are having fun. Love you.
I'd have been spewing some words right there! HECK NO! I DO NOT PLAY when it comes to that nastiness.....i'm cringing, my skin is crawling, ugh ugh ugh. gross.
Post a Comment