The Kindness of Strangers...
Costa Ricans are well-known for their hospitality and kindness. And, my host family has surpassed any expectations I may have had. They have made me feel right at home and I am so thankful for them, that they have opened their home to me and included me in their family. Don Quincho (prounounced "Keen-cho") and Dona Olga have been married almost 18 years and have a 17-year-old son, Jose, and a 12-year-old daughter, Daniela. Dona Olga is a great cook and takes care of her family (and me!) well, and Don Quincho has worked in the accounting department of a company that manufactures watches for the past 25 years and seems to always have a smile on his face.
The very first day of school, I met two very sweet girls (ladies? :)), Beatriz (left) and Dominique (right). Beatriz is originally from Kenya, but now lives outside of Baltimore with her husband and four kids. She's studying here for two months and is a lovely lady who loves Jesus and has been very kind ot me. Dominique is a Canadian and actually speaks limited English b/c she grew up in Quebec (which I've learned is the only province of Canada that has only French as their official language). I've been able to spend time outside of class with them both. Dominique and I, along with two others, went to the city center on Friday afternoon. And today, I went to church with Beatriz and had lunch afterwards with her and another new friend, Courtney. I've posted some new slideshows for your viewing pleasure: One is of my classmates and our view from our fourth floor classroom. There's another with pictures from my Costa Rican neighborhood, house and bedroom and family. And, finally, despite the rain, I took quite a few pics on our adventure yesterday to Cartago and Orosi. We had lunch at a yummy restaurant, and I took a picture of my plate so you could see what I've been eating three times a day (minus the chicken! :)). Enjoy!
1 comment:
I/m glad you are having a good time! LOST, the dog will be waiting for you when you get home.
Post a Comment