Since I'm going to New York City in a couple weeks, I figured that my Spring Break plans should be somewhat low-key. And what could be more low-key and relaxing than spending a few days at Grandmother's house in rural East Texas (Milam, to be exact!)? Unfortunately, (and literally!) on the way there, I developed pink eye (I'll spare you the details of the "development") and spent most of the week administering eye drops, blowing my nose, and using Purell. However, there were some highlights: Spending lots of time talking with my Grandmother, watching Shawnaka dodge "Miss Wren", the momma bird who laid eggs near my Grandmother's kitchen door, visiting with Dixie at Dixie's Store where we bought a few items and put them on my Grandmother's "tab", and visiting the Hemphill, TX Museum where a noose was still strung up from the ceiling of the jail and I think I met the real-live "Peggy Hill"--as seen on TV!!! And for those of you who have ever watched King of the Hill: I walked into the office where my Grandmother was talking with the museum attendant and my Grandmother informed the woman that I was a Spanish teacher. She then greeted me with the most Southern accented "Oh-law! Co-mo es-tahs?" I think I've ever heard in real life! I couldn't even keep a straight face! THEN, she told me that before retiring, she taught Senior English and Spanish I and II at Hemphill High School for years! Of course she did!
8 years ago

4 comments:
I love the one of your grandmother laughing. (I assume that's her and that's what she's doing...) What a great, sweet face!
Is this the grandma that makes banana pudding from scratch? I think about that every time I see a box of Nilla Wafers. :)
JEN JOHNS! Long time no see, no talk, no nothin'! You being in SPAIN, me being in BRENHAM! Don't be jealous Jen. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to travel here one day! :)
Anyways, how are ya, girl? I'm so glad that you have a blog! I miss your classic sense of humor and your sweet smile.
See you 'round the blogdom!
Ni Hao chica!!! I am home and can finally see the wonderful blog. I love ya and thanks for all the sweet comments while we were gone. The Peggy Hill story cracks me up!
I hope you get to go to Spain. That would be totally awesome!
Post a Comment