So, apparently, some of my pictures need an explanation. Disculpame. :)
The family I am living with are very devout Catholics. Don Quincho (Dad) was very proud to take us to La Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles (Our Lady of the Angels Basilica), a very old church named for the patron saint of Costa Rica, "La Negrita" (The Black Virgin). There is a fresh spring behind the church (see photos), and the waters are thought to have curative powers. Many people fill bottles and take the water home with them. Miraculous healing powers are also attributed to the saint and people pray, asking her for health or blessing and if their prayers are answered, they will bring a charm as an offering of thanks for the healing or blessing they received. So, if people had back pain or a broken limb or breast cancer or something and they were healed, they would bring a charm representing that body part to give as an offering. There were also tiny houses and cars that were made of metal that had been left. There were even some trophies and photographs.
I wish I'd been thinking when I saw that handsome American today...I could've snapped a quick photo and delivered it to La Negrita myself! Who knows what she could do with an offering like that!?! :)
8 years ago

2 comments:
Keep him for herself?
Love you!
Hmmm...so a golden breast, huh?
Sure, why not? Thanks for the explanation!
Post a Comment